Re: unexpected data beyond EOF and character encoding

From: Jaime Silvela <JSilvela(at)Bear(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: unexpected data beyond EOF and character encoding
Date: 2007-03-30 18:36:36
Lists: pgsql-general

I completed another migration from 8.1.3 to 8.2.3, and again the problem with "unexpected data beyond EOF", exactly twice like before, but in two tables different
from the last time.
The kernel bug hypothesis seems a strong one. I told Unix Ops about the possible bug, and one of the guys said 2.6.5-7.244 was well known to be
trouble on our hardware. We should be upgrading soon. I'll try to get more info regarding the particular Linux bug.

Thanks

Tom Lane wrote:

I did some idle searching when we were looking at the previous report
but couldn't find any specific kernel patches about this. It's
presumably known on the kernel side but maybe not under the specific
"lseek reports stale EOF position" guise that we know it as. If you
manage to track it down please do post back here, because we'd all
like to know.

Bear Stearns does not provide tax, legal or accounting advice. You
should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before
engaging in any transaction. In order for Bear Stearns to comply with
Internal Revenue Service Circular 230 (if applicable), you are notified
that any discussion of U.S. federal tax issues contained or referred to
herein is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of: (A) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code; nor (B) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.