Re: Debugger integration

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Debugger integration
Date: 2007-03-30 15:39:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>> The final option (which I am currently favouring) would be to move the
>> debugger code into pgAdmin itself, rather than keeping it as a separate
>> application. This has the disadvantage that the architecture if the
>> debugger is quite different from pgAdmin, so whilst it could work, it
>> will always seem a little odd unless largely rewritten.
> Sounds like the most elegant option - do you think this will happen
> before 1.8, or should we pursue the appbundle-inside-appbundle idea
> for 1.8

Whatever we do it needs to be for 1.8 - and I wantt get it done sooner
rather than later (there are huge changes in the Windows build
environments for PostgreSQL and pgInstaller that need my attention).

I'd be happy to go with the embedded bundle option - what puts me off is
that I'm still not overly confident with make etc. The merged code
option is nicest in theory, but I'd be concerned that it would always
seem like bolted on code without an almost complete rewrite (which seems
pointless - Korry's code is perfectly good, just architected very
differently from the rest of pgAdmin).

If you can track down any info on embedded bundles, that would be a big
help. I suspect this is the method that would be the most sensible overall.

Regards, Dave.