Re: Patch queue concern

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch queue concern
Date: 2007-03-28 21:18:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Gregory Stark wrote:

>>> At this point, with four days left before feature freeze, if the authors
>>> don't finish them, I doubt someone else is going to be able to do it.
>>>
>> This isn't the standard that we've used in the past. In the past patches that
>> are mostly done and need some extra work done to polish them off are
>> considered to have met the feature freeze.
>>

> My assumption is if authors don't finish them in the next few days, they
> are unlikely to finish them during some grace period during feature
> freeze. And the extra time is usually allowed for changes requested by
> committers, while at this point the authors aren't done and haven't even
> gotten to committer review.

Well hold on Bruce, that isn't quite fair. I know there are patches in
this cycle that have been waiting on reviewers/comitters not the other
way around.
Clustered indexes for example. I know that Gavin is "this close" to
having vacuum finished for bitmap index on disk. Alvaro's vacuum patch
isn't done
either, although he has submitted WIP.

Perhaps it makes sense to say:

Feature Freeze: April 1st., no "new" patches accepted for 8.3
Patch Freeze April 15th., Authors have until the 15th to address any
committer concerns

?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake