Re: Problems with precompiled pgsql on mac

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Peter Elmers <p(dot)elmers(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with precompiled pgsql on mac
Date: 2007-03-27 16:42:38
Lists: pgsql-admin
Peter Elmers wrote:
> Hi Shane,
>

>> Peter Elmers wrote:
>>> Hi Guys!
>>
>> A bit more info would help -
>>
>>> I am trying to deploy an application together with postgresql.
>>> Therefore, i compiled postgres versions on Intel, G4 and G5.
>>> Mostly, this works perfectly. But on some machines, the installation
>>> was successful and postgres does not start.
>>
>> Is there some common info on the machines that don't work?
> There must be. But at the moment, i did not find anything. Architecture
> and Ressources are different.

So it isn't just one cpu type that fails.

Is there software running (most likely of the server variety) already
that may use up various shared resources that prevents postgres from
allocating what it needs? I'm referring to the sysctl options that you
would normally increase so you can use some of the larger settings in
postgres buffers etc. Something else may already be using most of these
resources.

Do you have the option of being able to stop any of these services for a
few minutes to test if this is the case?

>> Is it only cpu type that fails? Is the correct binary installed on them?
> The correct binary is used.
>
>> Is there a system version or installed software that is common to the
>> failing machines?
> 10.4.9. On my machines, this works perfectly.
>
>> How much RAM is on the failing machines?
> Also different.

Shouldn't matter if you aren't trying to allocate the resources but do
all the failing machines have more than 4GB RAM?

>> Are you adjusting the postgres.conf file? What changes? Try with a
>> standard postgres.conf first.
> Changes are made for the amount of connections. Otherwise i had to
> change the sysctl settings.
>
> max_connections = 50
> shared_buffers = 1MB
>
>> Are you adjusting any of the sysctl settings?
>>
> No
>
>> What version are you installing?
>
> I compiled 8.2.3
>

>> What script are you using to start? Is POSTGRESQLSERVER=-YES- in
>> /etc/hostconfig Some scripts use this or similar to turn postgres on
>> or off.
>> One thing to try is to try starting with pg_ctl - you may get more
>> feedback than the startupitems script
>
> We use a own start script together with the systemstarter to get the
> database up each time the computer starts. In detail, it just uses
> "pg_ctl -D $Somewhere -l $OtherWhere start"

Try starting it with pg_ctl directly instead of using the script - the
script may recieve and hide some startup output that you will see on the
terminal if you run pg_ctl directly.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz