Re: Bulkloading using COPY - ignore duplicates?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bulkloading using COPY - ignore duplicates?
Date: 2001-10-01 21:38:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM> writes:
>> The effects don't stop propagating there, either. The decision
>> not to insert the tuple must be reported up still further, so
>> that the executor knows not to run any AFTER INSERT/UPDATE
>> triggers and knows not to count the tuple as inserted/updated
>> for the command completion report.

> But what about BEFORE insert/update triggers which could insert
> records too?

Well, what about them? It's already possible for a later BEFORE trigger
to cause the actual insertion to be suppressed, so I don't see any
difference from what we have now. If a BEFORE trigger takes actions
on the assumption that the insert will happen, it's busted already.

Mind you, I'm not actually advocating that we do any of this ;-).
I was just sketching a possible implementation approach in case someone
wants to try it.