Re: Problems with precompiled pgsql on mac

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Peter Elmers <p(dot)elmers(at)gmx(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with precompiled pgsql on mac
Date: 2007-03-26 17:47:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Peter Elmers wrote:
> Hi Guys!

A bit more info would help -

> I am trying to deploy an application together with postgresql.
> Therefore, i compiled postgres versions on Intel, G4 and G5.
> Mostly, this works perfectly. But on some machines, the installation was
> successful and postgres does not start.

Is there some common info on the machines that don't work?
Is it only cpu type that fails? Is the correct binary installed on them?
Is there a system version or installed software that is common to the
failing machines?
How much RAM is on the failing machines?
Are you adjusting the postgres.conf file? What changes? Try with a
standard postgres.conf first.
Are you adjusting any of the sysctl settings?

What version are you installing?

I do remember reading somewhere about Apple Remote Desktop 2 (or maybe
it was 3) (which uses pg as data source) may conflict with a postgres
install.

> PostGres does not write any log. If i try to start the postmaster
> directly, he says, it will start but no process is shown within the
> process list.

There should at least be a serverlog in the data directory. If you have
setup rotating logs look in data/pg_log

Bad permission settings on the data dir can stop postgres from starting.
Has the postgres user been created and set as the owner of the data dir
with drwx------ permissions set on the data dir and all contents?

What script are you using to start? Is POSTGRESQLSERVER=-YES- in
/etc/hostconfig Some scripts use this or similar to turn postgres on or off.
One thing to try is to try starting with pg_ctl - you may get more
feedback than the startupitems script.

Two logs to look at are console.log and system.log which may have STDERR
output not seen at the terminal. You can use Console.app to view them or
open them directly, console.log is in /Library/Logs/Console and
system.log is in /var/log

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz