Re: Performance of count(*)

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance of count(*)
Date: 2007-03-23 16:54:05
Lists: pgsql-performance
Michael Stone schrieb:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 01:01:02PM +0100, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
>> This discussion is a bit theoretical until we see the actual problem
>> and the proposed solution here.
>
> It's good to see you back off a bit from your previous stance of
> assuming that someone doesn't know what they're doing and that their
> solution is absolutely wrong without actually knowing anything about
> what they are trying to do.

Well I'm sure its very likely wrong :-) At least the core part of
it with the statement of "keeping index data outside postgres".

What I meant with my comment about the theoreticalness: we cannot
make educated suggestions about alternative solutions to the problem
until we know the problem and maybe the current solution in detail.

Regards
Tino