Re: installing on windows XP

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: mail(at)xesoftware(dot)com(dot)au
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing on windows XP
Date: 2007-03-22 23:04:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

stephenc schrieb:

> OK, I cannot even get postgresql loaded!
>
> I am trying to load as a server so I can access from other computers
> on my local network.
>
> I start with postgresql-8.2.msi
>
> I am a little lost when I get to Service configuration. If I just
> accept the defaults I it says Invalid username specified: unknown user
> name or bad password. First I didn’t enter a password and the gui
> doesn’t have a box labeled username.
>
> Can someone tell me what the Account name and Account domain do and
> what the might be called?
>
> If I change the Account domain to ‘pg’ it says would I like that
> account creating (pq\postgres) and moves on.

The default username is "postgres".
As I recall there is a gui in the installer where you can specify the
username and the password.
The domain would be the name of your pc in this case. Don't change this.

> I complete Initialize database cluster, ticking accept connections.
>
> When I click install (a couple of guis later), I get ‘postgres’
> already exists and it rolls back. OK I done this more than once!

Providet you havent allready stored data in the database ...

you've got to be Administrator

First go in the windows program manager and remove previous installations.
Then restart to be sure that the service is gone.
Find the program folder where you installed PG e.g. c:/program
files/postgres
Remove it.
In case you placed the data files somewhere else, remove the data there,
too.
Start again with the pg-installer
Don't change the pg-username but just fill in the password 2 times as it
is asked.
The installer will create an unpriviliged user to run the service with.

If you intent to connect with other PCs keep in mind that you have to
poke a hole in the windows firewall.

> If I do that all again but use psql as the Account name, I get another
> warning ‘Internal account lookup failure. No mapping between account
> names and security IDs was done’ and then it rolls back.

So you skrewed the thing up. ;-)
No worries. Try cleaning out as much of the former installs as possible,
then try again.