Re: Google SoC idea: FTS support in GUI tools

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Google SoC idea: FTS support in GUI tools
Date: 2007-03-22 12:20:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

[Forgot to CC the list]

Ivan Zolotukhin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are many users (especially novice) asking about better and
> easier configuration of tsearch2, which is quite complicated
> currently. Even new FTS features in 8.3 (e.g. much clearer
> configuration with SQL commands) won't help much for users that want
> simple "several clicks" setup of a small system with full text
> indexing. Adding support of nice user-friendly FTS configuration in
> popular PostgreSQL GUI administration tools would help a lot to spread
> PostgreSQL among wide group of potential users. Also certain GUI
> features can be helpful even for experienced users.
>
> That is why I would like to propose idea to implement FTS
> configuration functionality in GUI tools in a frame of Google SoC
> 2007.
>
> Basic plan of the work is to code all interfaces and debug ideas
> firstly in phpPgAdmin and then re-implement ready solutions in
> pgadmin3. I consider below features as most useful and would like to
> hear any comments what to change/add to this list.

Hi,

This would certainly be a useful addition to pgAdmin. Some quick
comments though:

- This is the pgAdmin hackers list, not phpPgAdmin which seems to be
your primary focus :-(. You might want to post to their list as well.

- You propose to implement support in both phpPgAdmin and then pgAdmin.
They are *very* different architectures, and in particular pgAdmin can
have quite a steep learning curve. Would you be able to successfully
work on both projects in the required timeframe?

- phpPgAdmin is a web app whereas pgAdmin is a native desktop app. This
results in applications that are very different to use for the user -
can you successfully prototype desktop functionality in a web app?

> Open questions:
> - what to change/add to this list?

It seems quite an ambitious list. I would expect it to take me a couple
of weeks to implement basic configuration support in pgAdmin, nevermind
the diagnostics functionality you describe. Even working on just one of
the two interfaces this seems like an ambitious project.

> - should we support old tsearch2 configuration for backward
> compatibilty with versions prior to 8.3? This seriously increases
> amount of work to be done.

No, I don't think so (and wouldn't want it in pgadmin for sure).

> - should we analyze FTS configuration experience and interfaces
> existing in $$$ databases?

It's always worth researching the approaches used in other products
where possible. Of course, you must be careful not to use patented
algorithms but that is rarely an issue in UI design.

Regards, Dave.