Re: XML ouput for psql

From: greg(at)turnstep(dot)com
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XML ouput for psql
Date: 2003-03-04 19:50:12
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-patches

> The XML standard does not call for any table format.  But a number of
> table formats have been established within the XML framework.  Some of
> them are formatting-oriented (e.g., the HTML model, or CALS which is used
> in DocBook) and some of them are processing-oriented (e.g., SQL/XML).
> Which do we need?  And which do we need from psql in particular (keeping
> in mind that psql is primarily for interactive use and shell-scripting)?
> In any case, it should most likely be a standard table model and not a
> hand-crafted one.
I think all psql needs is a simple output, similar to the ones used by
Oracle, Sybase, and MySQL; the calling application should then process
it in some way as needed (obviously this is not for interactive use).
Where can one find a "standard table model?"

All of the DBs I mentioned (and the perl module DBIx:XML_RDB) all share
a similar theme, with subtle differences (i.e. some use <row>, some
<row num="x">, some have <rowset>). I'd be happy to write whatever
format we can find or develop. My personal vote is the DBIx::XML_RDB
format, perhaps with the row number that Oracle uses, producing this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<RESULTSET statement="select * from xmltest">
<ROW num="1">
<ROW num="2">

> (If, for whatever reason, we go the "processing-oriented" route, then I
> claim that there should not be a different output with and without \x
> mode.)

I agree with this.

- --
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200303041444