Re: geaphical query designer

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: geaphical query designer
Date: 2007-03-09 22:45:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Gevik Babakhani wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I would like to to give a try to implement a graphical query designer in
> PGAdmin. I know it won't be easy hence I am new to the PGAdmin source
> and wxWidgets...
>
> I would like to know your opinion about the following plan:
>
> The designer module would consist of two main parts
>
> 1. The graphical part that is mainly going to be wxWidgets magic for
> dragging/dropping and drawing.

Cool - I had envisaged that as a tab (with the existing SQL text box) on
the query tool.

> 2. The second part would be an SQL parser that will be used to parse SQL
> to an object model to draw the graphical part and to generate SQL from
> that object model.
>
> I guess the second part would contain most of the work. I hope I can
> reuse the yacc/lex grammar from PG to help build this part. The question
> is whether the code generated by yacc/lex can be used within PGAdmin
> codebase.

I would concentrate on 1. first, and make sure you design it with an API
to allow programmatic diagramming in mind, and then add the reverse
engineering later.

If you build it in a nice modular way it might make the basis of a nice
ER Diagramming tool as well in the future.

Regards, Dave.