Re: Display of error message

From: Albin Blaschka <albin(dot)blaschka(at)raumberg-gumpenstein(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Display of error message
Date: 2007-03-07 09:39:29
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page wrote:
> Albin Blaschka wrote:
>> In opposite I had said before it seems that it depends on the encoding
>> of the database - if the database is encoded in UTF-8, I get no
>> messages, in Latin-9 I *do*...
>> So it seems that indeed Laurent and me have the same problem...
>
> I assume whatever script you are running doesn't change the client
> encoding?
> What happens if you do
>
> SET client_encoding='utf-8'
>
> before your query?

Hello,

If I am connected to a database encoded in Latin-9 and I execute
something like:

SET client_encoding='utf-8';
select * from bla

(where "bla" is obviously non existant)

I get the error nuber *and* the message, like:

FEHLER: Relation »bla« existiert nicht
SQL Status:42P01

If I am connected to a database encoded in UTF-8, I get only the error code:

select * from bla

<--- empty line
FEHLER:
SQL Status:42P01

What is interesting: In the output/messages pane, the first line is
empty/blank, instead of the error text (see above), if I execute again
with an UTF-8 encoded database:

SET client_encoding='LATIN-9';
select * from bla

I do not get a message either, just the code, but the empty line
*disappears*, the first line is "FEHLER:" (meaning Error)

I hope, my description is understandable...

Thanks a lot,
Albin

** Albin Blaschka, Mag. rer. nat.
** SURE - Successful Restoration and Rehabilitation
** Accompanying Infrastructural Interventions
** HBLFA Raumberg - Gumpenstein
** Abteilung für Vegetationsmanagement im Alpenraum
** Tel.: ++43 (0)3682 / 22451 - 347
** For the creation of this message 100% recycled electrons were used!