Re: Modifying the concurrent transaction limit

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Jason L(dot) Buberel" <jason(at)buberel(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Modifying the concurrent transaction limit
Date: 2007-03-06 16:28:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Jason L. Buberel wrote:
> A. Is there really a built-in limit to the number of concurrent
> transactions?
> B. Can this value be configured?

There certainly isn't in PostgreSQL. There is a configurable limit on
the number of connections (max_connections in postgresql.conf), and
another limit on the number of two-phase commit transactions in prepared
state (max_prepared_transactions).

You'll need to look at your application and Hibernate...

> I have done what I can to try and ensure that these transactions are
> cleaned up when processing completes, but sometimes garbage collection
> does not occur soon enough and I accumulate 50 open transactions,
> wedging the process. If there is something else that I should be doing
> to avoid this type of problem, please suggest!

The usual pattern for closing resources is to release finite resources
manually in a finally-clause, instead of waiting for the garbage
collector to deal with it.

--
Heikki Linnakangas