Re: Patch for column properties

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch for column properties
Date: 2007-03-04 10:44:48
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> There's something I really like with EMS SQL Manager. When the user
> change a property, the SQL is shown and can be changed. If the COMMIT
> failed, they show you the SQL and it also can be modified. Perhaps we
> just need this ? When there is a PostgreSQL related error message,
> pgAdmin shows the SQL it tried to execute and let the user change it. I
> think it would be a better behavior than what my patch implied. Would
> something like this be possible ?

Probably - but it seems it would be a fair amount of work. Feel free to
look into it if you like.

> And one more question, I wonder why
> the SQL tab is not editable ? I can think of one reason but I'm not sure :)

Because it's dynamically generated, and any changes would either be lost
if the user changed tab, or would have to be reverse engineered back
into the other dialog controls. Also, on some dialogs there are
placeholders included in the code for cases when we have multi-step
queries that are tied together by a generated ID. IF the user mucked
about with those, it could break things particularly spectaularly.

Regards, Dave