Re: Joining the OSA

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joining the OSA
Date: 2007-03-02 16:02:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> But that one carries a specific time donation requirement, which was excluded
>> above.
>
> Hmpf. O.k., well what do people think about the idea of being part of
> something for the sake of being part of it?
>
> I don't know what to think on that.
>
> Joshua D. Drake

That may be an area they can clarify a bit more.

 From the FAQ's -
> How much does OSA membership cost?
> OSA membership varies from $5,000 for integrators to $10,000 for ISVs.
 > Open source community members can join OSA with no fee and
 > collaborate by registering at www.OpenSolutionsAlliance.org.

I wonder if "PostgreSQL" could join as an open source community member
and be listed next to EnterpriseDB? or would a project with a non
financial contribution be listed as a friend at the bottom? with some
individuals from here being community members to give PostgreSQL a voice
in any discussions?

I would say we aren't integrators or ISV's but PostgreSQL would be used
by them and that a presence and direct assistance from the PostgreSQL
community would increase the likelihood that PostgreSQL would be used by
any ISV's that are involved.

Being a part of OSA can only create/increase the possibility of
PostgreSQL being considered as an option.

It may be a bit early to tell whether this project will be worthwhile,
but I think that even if one of us participates in the discussions and
provides some assistance with any integration issues and relays issues
back to the relevant project members it would help to get PostgreSQL
accepted/included more in any projects that are also involved.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz