Re: Disconnecting non active (IDLE ) users

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha <ezequias(dot)rocha(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Goran Rakic <gossa(at)disyu(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Disconnecting non active (IDLE ) users
Date: 2007-02-28 16:35:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha wrote:
> I would like to know how postgresql defines that a connection is
> inactive. I have the same problem but in the future I couldn't restart
> my server every day.

I believe IDLE = not currently processing a query / sending data back to
client.

> Any explanation ?
> Ezequias
>
> 2007/2/26, Goran Rakic <gossa(at)disyu(dot)com>:
>> I have installed POSTGRESQL 8.2 on W2K3 32bit , 100 users connecting from
>> desktop applications and 200 users connecting thru web service from
>> handheld
>> computers
>>
>> I have problem with second groups of users.
>>
>> Often they do not disconnect from POSTGRE Server and with time passing
>> thru
>> I have lot of IDLE users and very much memory consumptions. From time to
>> time that can crash server then only restarting server will kill all
>> postgres.exe from memory and this annoying me, because that I build
>> script
>> to restart server every night. I could not get programmers to change
>> program.

200 web based users should be sharing a smaller number of connections
(maybe 50 to 100).
What are you using to generate the pages? php, asp, perl?
Do you use persistent connections in the above or some sort of pooling
between the two (like pgpool)? or some fancy tracking of each users very
own connection?

I would be looking into the web server connections and seeing if the
number of connections from there grows and in so finding why they don't
get disconnected when finished.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz