Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date: 2007-02-27 20:13:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Simon,
>
> One of the things I love about doing informal online user support in the
> PostgreSQL community, and formal user support for Sun's customers, is the
> almost-ironclad guarentee that if a user has a corrupt database or data loss,
> one of three things is true:
> a) they didn't apply some recommended PG update;
> b) they have a bad disk controller or disk config;
> c) they have bad ram.

That is pretty spot on.

> It seriously narrows down the problem space to know that PostgreSQL does *not*
> allow data loss if it's physically possible to prevent it.

But we do don't we? fsync = off, full_page_writes = off?

> Therefore, if we're going to arm a foot-gun as big as COMMIT NOWAIT for
> PostgreSQL, I'd like to see the answers to two questions:

I agree with this.

> a) Please give some examples of performance gain on applications using COMMIT
> NOWAIT. The performance gain needs to be substantial (like, 50% to 100%) to
> justify a compromise like this.

WOAH... that seems excessive. There are a couple of things going on here.

1. We have a potential increase in performance for certain workloads.
This is good, but must be proven. IS that proof 50%? Bah.. let's talk
15-25%.

2. We have to accept that not everyone wants IRON clad data integrity.
We have many, many options for dealing with that now, including PITR and
REPLICATION.

> b) Why this and not global temporary tables or queuing?

/me would love global temp tables.

Much of the PostgreSQL Users out there today, will happily loose a 15
minutes of data if it means their data is served 25% faster.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/