bundling postgres with an application

From: zluspai <zluspai(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: bundling postgres with an application
Date: 2007-02-27 06:20:06
Lists: pgsql-ports
Dear Community,

We would like to bundle and ship PostgreSQL latest with our java (Tomcat
web~) application, that way so PostgreSQL server would be automatically
started and stopped by our app. It should run on Windows, and recent
versions of Suse, Fedora and RedHat linux distributions. There are few
questions arise:
- Do we need to compile PostgreSQL to a different binary for each of the
mentioned linuxes, or is there an 'universally' compatible binary we
could use? I did see that there are different RPMS for different Fedora
and RedHat versions, that suggests we need to build it, is it correct?
- Also we would like to reduce the distribution size, so what would be
the minimum set of files we need to ship? The requirement is to have
UTF8 and jdbc/socket connection support to our database.

Thank you for your comments in advance, I would happily read any similar
experiences of yours.
Regards,
Zoltan

pgsql-ports by date