dropping a master table and all of its partitions?

From: George Nychis <gnychis(at)cmu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dropping a master table and all of its partitions?
Date: 2007-02-27 00:42:57
Lists: pgsql-general

Hey everyone,

I created a master table, and created ~2000 partitions for it.

*no* data is in any of these partitions.

I am trying to drop the master and all of the partitions with a cascade:
DROP TABLE master CASCADE;

Except after about 30 seconds my memory usage (4GB) jumps to 99%, and
after about 10 minutes it kills over and drops my connection.

How do you delete a master and all of its partitions?

Thanks!
George