Re: Seeking Google SoC Mentors

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Warren Turkal <wt(at)penguintechs(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Seeking Google SoC Mentors
Date: 2007-02-26 23:02:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-students

Warren Turkal wrote:
> On Monday 26 February 2007 14:22, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> Is there a list of projects? Or can we suggest some?
>>

> Temporal database support
> * base data types
> - verify current for ISO compliance (timestamp, interval)
> - implement period datatype
> * operators for those datatypes
> * add support for valid time tables
> * add support for transaction time tables
> * add support for bi-temporal tables

Well, here's a question. Given the recent discussion re full
disjunction, I'd like to know what sort of commitment we are going to
give people who work on proposed projects. I understand Warren's
keenness for this, but it's not clear to me that it has lots of support
elsewhere, and IIRC the idea was rejected by the SQL Standards body. I
don't object to making new data types available, but new table
properties is quite another matter.

So, what exactly are we promising?

cheers

andrew