Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin's unmaintained translations

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: "Hélder M(dot) Vieira" <hmv(at)mail(dot)telepac(dot)pt>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgadmin-support] pgAdmin's unmaintained translations
Date: 2007-02-26 22:41:11
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgadmin-support
Hélder M. Vieira a écrit :
> I started the translation task using poEdit, and everything seems ok.
> Before going on, I'm sending an attached copy of the resulting PO file
> (zipped) after performing a few translations, so you can make any checks
> you
> might find useful. Please let me know if something went wrong (the editing
> was done in a Windows 2000 machine).

There is no problem with your file. msgfmt says you're at 84% :)

> For reviewing purposes, the Howto guidelines mention *.xrc files. Where
> should I get them ?

They are available with the source files. But I think you'll also have
to compile the source.

> At first sight, I can see three areas requiring special care:
>
> 1. Context - Some strings are very short and their meaning isn't quite
> clear;
> I suppose that running pgAdmin with the -t option will enable me to
> partially overcome this problem. Is there some other way to get context
> information about specific strings ?

Unfortunately, no. You still can grep in the source directory but it
won't be easy. The better way is to run pgAdmin with -t mode.

> 2. Gender - The portuguese language has a lot more gender-specific words
> than english;
> Strings translated to a gender-specific form will result in somewhat weird
> expressions when concatenated with other strings. Are there some common
> rules for this kind of problem ?

Do you have a specific example ? french has the same issue but I'm not
able to come up with an example that bug me with pgAdmin's translation.

> 3. Best practices - A lot of often seen expressions should be translated
> according to the most commonly used expressions in the IT area.
> There was a lot of work done in the IBM's CUA translation guidelines, 20
> years ago, providing standard expressions. Microsoft also published a
> lot of
> standard expressions, as far as I can remember. Should I follow some
> specific guidelines ? If so, where should I look for them ?

I know I use Sun's guide. There is quite a lot of informations on this
little guide :

http://developers.sun.com/techtopics/global/technology/translation/lang-style-guides.html

> Anyway, I guess it might be wise to check the brazilian, spanish and french
> translations and try to stick with the most common trends. Do you agree ?

Yes :)

Regards.

--
Guillaume.