Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL on Windows Paper

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, Chris Travers <chris(at)verkiel(dot)metatrontech(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL on Windows Paper
Date: 2007-02-26 17:53:34
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:22, Chris Travers wrote:
>>> Hi all;
>>>
>>> Microsoft has seen it fit to publish a paper I have written as an
>>> introduction to PostgreSQL on Windows.  This paper covers the basics of
>>> installing and configuring the software.  I thought it might be of
>>> interest here so here is the link:
>>>
>>> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx
>>>
>>> If there are any editorial concerns they can be directed to me.  It is
>>> my hope that this will help introduce our favorite RDBMS to a wider
>>> audience.
>> One point, the paper mentions that you can't run pgsql under an admin
>> account, but I thought that changed with 8.2.  Or is that with Vista or
>> something?
>
> Yes, it did change with 8.2. A couple of other points whilst we're on
> the subject:
>
> - It says to click postgresql-8.2-int.msi to install. That's wrong -
> it's postgresql-8.2.msi.
>
> - It says that 'one should expect performance on Windows to be lower
> [because of the per-process architecture], especially where large
> numbers of small queries are made.' That's not really accurate - it will
> be slower when there are large numbers of short lived connections. Lots
> of queries in one connection should be fine though.

I believe ou will still see worse performance, because of at least two
things: context switching is more expensive (much more), and shared
memory access appears to be more expensive.
It will be worse if you have short lived connections, of course.

> - It should be noted that on Vista, UAC can be re-enabled following
> installation. We are aiming to fix this for 8.3.
>
> - It's "pgAdmin III", not PGAdmin III or PgAdmin III (yeah, I know, get
> a life Dave...)

Nah, you gotta keep at them. it's like all those people who use postgre.

//Magnus