Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL on Windows Paper

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(at)verkiel(dot)metatrontech(dot)com>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL on Windows Paper
Date: 2007-02-26 09:32:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:22, Chris Travers wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> Microsoft has seen it fit to publish a paper I have written as an
>> introduction to PostgreSQL on Windows.  This paper covers the basics of
>> installing and configuring the software.  I thought it might be of
>> interest here so here is the link:
>>
>> http://port25.technet.com/archive/2007/02/22/postgresql-on-windows-a-primer.aspx
>>
>> If there are any editorial concerns they can be directed to me.  It is
>> my hope that this will help introduce our favorite RDBMS to a wider
>> audience.
>
> One point, the paper mentions that you can't run pgsql under an admin
> account, but I thought that changed with 8.2.  Or is that with Vista or
> something?

Yes, it did change with 8.2. A couple of other points whilst we're on
the subject:

- It says to click postgresql-8.2-int.msi to install. That's wrong -
it's postgresql-8.2.msi.

- It says that 'one should expect performance on Windows to be lower
[because of the per-process architecture], especially where large
numbers of small queries are made.' That's not really accurate - it will
be slower when there are large numbers of short lived connections. Lots
of queries in one connection should be fine though.

- It should be noted that on Vista, UAC can be re-enabled following
installation. We are aiming to fix this for 8.3.

- It's "pgAdmin III", not PGAdmin III or PgAdmin III (yeah, I know, get
a life Dave...)

Regards, Dave