Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: tsearch in core patch, for inclusion
Date: 2007-02-22 12:45:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Hi,

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>> It's not so big addition to the gram.y, see a list of commands
>> http://mira.sai.msu.su/~megera/pgsql/ftsdoc/sql-commands.html.

As we still to still discuss the syntax: is there a proposal for how a
function based syntax would look like?

CREATE FULLTEXT CONFIGURATION myfts LIKE template_cfg AS DEFAULT;

just seems so much more SQL-like than:

SELECT add_fulltext_config('myfts', 'template_cfg', True);

I admit, that's a very simple and not thought through example. But as
long as those who prefer not to extend the grammar don't come up with a
better alternative syntax, one easily gets the impression that extending
the grammar in general is evil.

> In that proposed syntax, I would drop all "=", ",", "(", and ")". They
> don't seem necessary and they are untypical for SQL commands. I'd
> compare with CREATE FUNCTION or CREATE SEQUENCE for SQL commands that
> do similar things.

Yup, I'd second that.

Regards

Markus