Re: 8.2 Admin Pack broken?

To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: 8.2 Admin Pack broken?
Date: 2007-02-17 17:45:51
Lists: pgsql-admin
Tom Lane wrote:
> "Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists)" <andy(dot)shellam-lists(at)mailnetwork(dot)co(dot)uk> writes:
>
>> FYI: Reports on Google are wrong - they say that you need to use "gmake"
>> to build the PostgreSQL server source.  You don't.
>>

> I can assure you that you need GNU make to build any part of Postgres.
> Perhaps what you're dealing with there is that "/usr/bin/make" is some
> particularly ancient release of GNU make that has most but not quite all
> of the features we depend on?  "make -v" might prove informative.

Not particularly!! Don't know what it is but it doesn't _appear_ to be
GNU.  According to "man make" it is a "FreeBSD General Command."
I can tell you that "./configure && make && make install" works and
builds a working Postgres server just fine, it's just the contribs it
doesn't build.

[root(at)byron ~]# make -v
make: no target to make.

[root(at)byron ~]# /usr/bin/make -v
make: no target to make.

[root(at)byron ~]# /usr/local/bin/make -v
GNU Make 3.81
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This program built for i386-unknown-freebsd6.1
[root(at)byron ~]#

Confusion reigns.