Re: Multi-language to be or not to be

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Adrian Maier <adrian(dot)maier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multi-language to be or not to be
Date: 2007-02-12 22:40:11
Lists: pgsql-www

Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>>> There's some stuff in the README file:
>>> http://gborg.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/portal/README?rev=1.8;cvsroot=pgweb
>>>
>> OK, I'll read this.
>
> Please do and let us know what you think. If the way it's done today is
> broken, we need to fix that rather than just live on with what we have.
> But that requires an idea of what to fix it into :-)

OK, I've read it. It seems good to me. And I would like to translate the
website in french.

>>> Well, you're one of the maintainers of postgresqlfr.org, right? What are
>>> your thoughts on that vs a translated www.postgresql.org? I'd really
>>> like to hear more from the people who're actually maintaining the
>>> non-english websites..
>>>
>> At the beginning of this thread, I thought we could rip the translation
>> part of postgresql.org. Really, why would we need two websites ? But, as
>> the thread goes on and on, I now think we need both of them. I think
>> many french people first go to the main website, ie www.postgresql.org,
>> for example to download the tarball. That's where they discover the
>> french mailing list and the french website. The french website is the
>> association's website. We put in it a translated PGWN, release news and
>> french success stories... and I think that's all. Hmmm, no, we also add
>> news on meetings (Solutions Linux, RMLL, etc.) And there's a cookbook
>> and a forum. That's all. Nothing like what's available on postgresql.org.
>>
>> So I think we need both of them.
>>
>> And I think we need a documentation's website but that's another story.
>
> Okay. Let me then ask the other thing that we really haven't discussed:
> Do we want the language site to be served up automatically. That's
> really what the code is all about today. If your browser is set to
> prefer French, we'll serve up the French version of the page (if
> available). While convenient, I personally don't like sites that do this
> for me (I've reconfigured my browser to put English as the top language
> for that reason).

I kind of agreed with you on this one. I particularly hate when google
put me on their french search website when I really asked to be in the
english one. I hate this because, with the french search website, french
pages are ranked higher than others. But I don't think this will be the
point here. If you have a browser configured to put french as top
language, that's just because you prefer french pages. And if you don't
want that, you will have a combo to choose another language.

> Now if we *don't* want this, the comment about incomplete translations
> fall - then you will only see that which is translated.

I want this. But others should tell us what they prefer. It's also
possible to first go to the browser's language page if this language's
po file is at least 85% translated... and go to the english one if it isn't.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/