dump sizes changed...

From: Lewis Kapell <lkapell(at)setonhome(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: dump sizes changed...
Date: 2007-02-12 16:28:50
Lists: pgsql-admin

We recently migrated to a new server after having had the old one
running continously for over a year. The first night that we did a
backup, the file produced by pg_dumpall was noticably smaller than the
one we got from the old server prior to the switchover (2.5 GB versus
3.1 GB).

Is this something we should be alarmed about, or could this be the
normal result of dumping and reloading a large database?

Thanks for any who can advise.
--

Thank you,

Lewis Kapell