Re: Windows installation suggestion

From: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows installation suggestion
Date: 2007-02-12 09:35:35
Lists: pgsql-ports
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 12:13:49PM +0900, Paul Lambert wrote:
>> I'd like to make a suggestion for a change to the windows installation
>> for Postgres if permissable... not sure if this is the right list to be
>> posting to.
>>
>> Suggestion as follows:
>>
>> Have the install update the PATH environment variable to include the
>> Postgres BIN directory to enable things to be run from commandline (such
>> as psql) without having to switch into that directory.
>
> We've talked about this before, and rejected it. The reason is that it
> breaks when you have more than one version installed on the same system.
>
> We've considered adding a checkbox (off by default) to the installation
> that would set it, though, but the demand just hasn't been there yet ;-)
>
> Does it not help to just use the "Command Prompt" shortcut on the
> PostgreSQL menu in the start menu?
>
> //Magnus

I'm setting up some batch jobs that perform various tasks, some of which
will involve psql. I've manually adjusted the path variable on my server
in this instance, however I can see that multiple versions may result in
some undesired behavior.

A checkbox would work, providing it removes the pre-existing
installations reference in the path variable... otherwise you could be
unknowingly running the wrong version of programs and seeing unexpected
results.

Apparently this fact didn't cross my mind when I decided to make the
suggestion ;)

I blame my ignorance on years of using M$ SQL server.

--
Paul Lambert
Database Administrator