Re: use connection pooling

From: Guy Rouillier <guyr-ml1(at)burntmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: use connection pooling
Date: 2007-02-09 00:51:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
John R Pierce wrote:
> Guy Rouillier wrote:
>> janaka priyadarshana wrote:
>>> hi all
>>>

>>> my database server is running on one  machine and the application is
>>> running on another machine(simple java application use to access the
>>> database).
>>>
>>> so i want to know, what is the protocol that use to communicate
>>> between those two applications...?
>>
>> JDBC.
>>

> not exactly.   JDBC is the API your app uses to access the database.
> the JDBC class libraries for postgres on the client system will use
> postgres's native protocol to talk to the PG Server (default of 5432/tcp)

Well, with any network communication, there are multiple layers of
protocols involved.  You took it one layer below JDBC, but we could keep
on going down to the physical layer link protocol.  Since the O.P. was
asking on a JDBC mailing list, I assumed he was interested in that layer.

--
Guy Rouillier