Re: how to add a new data partition

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)007Marketing(dot)com>
To: Karthikeyan Sundaram <skarthi98(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how to add a new data partition
Date: 2007-02-07 08:31:04
Lists: pgsql-admin
Karthikeyan Sundaram wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>   Thanks for replying.  The tablespace is not the main problem here.  I
> want the data files to grow in the new partition along with the old
> linux partition.
>   Let me put like this.
>    We have a linux partition of 120GB called as
> /local/postgres/database/Data/< followed by all files>
>     This /local partition is 95 % used.
>     So we are adding one more partition called /local1 which is
> approximately 250 GB.  Now I want to inform postgres that after /local
> partiion is 100 %, I want to utilize the /local1 so that the database
> can grow significantly.  In other words, the data file created and
> maintained by postgres will grow in the /local1 partition.

The closest I would think is partitioning - data matching certain
criteria can be in one tablespace and other data in another tablespace.
This won't be just once this disk is full use another - you would say
something like table1's rows with id<2000000 on this disk and
id>=2000000 on another.
If your data is that large you may want to look into the benefit's it
can offer even if you do use lvm.

Shane Ambler

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz