Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding
Date: 2007-02-03 22:25:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> Attached is the implementation of the proposed changes as a patch for
> discussion.
>
> The chosen syntax is backward compatible and uses
>
> ALTER TABLE <tab> ENABLE TRIGGER <trig> (fires on origin - default)
> ALTER TABLE <tab> DISABLE TRIGGER <trig> (disabled)
> ALTER TABLE <tab> ENABLE REPLICA TRIGGER <trig> (fires on replica only)
> ALTER TABLE <tab> ENABLE ALWAYS TRIGGER <trig> (fires always)

<snip>

> The commands psql and pg_dump are adjusted in a backward compatible
> manner. Although I noticed that psql currently is incompatible with at
> least 8.1 databases due to querying indisvalid on \d.
>
> Comments?

This is interesting. If I understand correctly the idea here is to be
able to determine which triggers will get fired based on the role the
database plays?

E.g; I have a REPLICA TRIGGER and thus I can use that on a
subscriber/slave to take replicated data and create reports automatically.

How do we deal with other problems such as a PROMOTED state?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/