Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal: Change of pg_trigger.tg_enabled and adding
Date: 2007-02-03 21:50:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Attached is the implementation of the proposed changes as a patch for
discussion.

The chosen syntax is backward compatible and uses

ALTER TABLE <tab> ENABLE TRIGGER <trig> (fires on origin - default)
ALTER TABLE <tab> DISABLE TRIGGER <trig> (disabled)
ALTER TABLE <tab> ENABLE REPLICA TRIGGER <trig> (fires on replica only)
ALTER TABLE <tab> ENABLE ALWAYS TRIGGER <trig> (fires always)

A sessions current role is controlled by the PG_SUSET GUC
session_replication_role. The possible states are origin, replica and
local. The local state is identical to origin with respect to trigger
firing. It is intended to be used to issue statements that do not get
replicated at all.

The commands psql and pg_dump are adjusted in a backward compatible
manner. Although I noticed that psql currently is incompatible with at
least 8.1 databases due to querying indisvalid on \d.

Comments?

Jan