Re: About PostgreSQL certification

From: Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
To: iannsp(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: About PostgreSQL certification
Date: 2007-02-02 01:54:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Iannsp wrote:
> Hello,
> I did like to know what you think about the postgresql certifications
> provided for
> PostgreSQL CE
> CertFirst
> My question is about the validate of this certification for the clients.
> Make difference to be certified?
IMHO, the SRA certification has been around for awhile, and I believe it
has some credibility in Japan...While I'm not sure what its credibility
is like here in the US - the fact that it has credibility in Japan is a
big plus .

The CertFirst certification (, seems to be administered
online (as opposed to SRA's which is at a PearsonVUE test center) -
which basically means that it's open book, open note, call your friend,
copy the questions, etc.  It also seems that CertFirst runs the
certification themselves under what appears to be a shell company called
"examsonline".  It looks to be more of a marketing ploy than anything

Based on the fact that they are a provider of training under the WIA act
in IL, I'd suspect that they need a certification so that they can sell
their programs to the unemployed folks that are getting free training on
the gov'ts dime.
> thanks for advanced.
> Ivo Nascimento.
> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster