Here's an idea and a patch for full page writes improvement.
(1) keep full page writes for ordinary WAL, make them available during
the crash recovery, -> recovery from inconsistent pages which can be
made at the crash,
(2) Remove them from the archive log except for those written during
online backup (between pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup) -> small size
(1) Mark WAL record whose full-page-writes can be removed,
(2) Remove full-page writes from the marked WAL record in archive
(3) Restore the removed full-page writes to make LSN consistent.
Included is a patch for this as well as archive and restore command source.
Patch is very small and I hope this to be included in 8.3.
pgsql-hackers by date
|Next:||From: Gavin Sherry||Date: 2007-02-01 02:24:41|
|Subject: Re: Data archiving/warehousing idea|
|Previous:||From: Chris Dunlop||Date: 2007-02-01 02:01:34|
|Subject: Data archiving/warehousing idea|
pgsql-patches by date
|Next:||From: Bruce Momjian||Date: 2007-02-01 02:38:36|
|Subject: Re: DROP FUNCTION failure: cache lookup failed for
|Previous:||From: Mark Kirkwood||Date: 2007-02-01 01:17:24|
|Subject: Re: [pgsql-patches] Patch to avoid gprof profiling overwrites|