Re: Oracle to launch Unbrakable MySQL?

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Lukas Kahwe Smith <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
Cc: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Oracle to launch Unbrakable MySQL?
Date: 2007-01-31 15:15:29
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Lukas Kahwe Smith wrote:
> Jim Nasby wrote:
>> Another interesting thought... if Oracle offers support for MySQL, it
>> certainly wouldn't surprise me if they ended up outright *buying* them
>> in a few years.

MySQL's CEO themselves suggests they're preparing for an IPO
which would mean the price Oracle offered would have to be pretty high.

[new article where Mickos mentions his IPO ambitions]
http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=26F5F8B6-8CC6-4529-8DE7-65732FA84347

> They have attempted this before. However remember that SAP is a big
> stack holder in MySQL AB's financing. They will do everything in their
> power to prevent Oracle from buying MySQL AB, as MySQL is their wedge to
> commoditize the database market (MySQL is getting SAP certified soon),
> which is their open mission statement ever since they released SAP DB.

I'd be quite surprised if SAP had such power.
Seems most of MySQL's money from traditional VCs
http://www.mysql.com/company/investors.html
and Kevin Harvey the Benchmark Captial guy is the
Chairman of their board. He's no doubt comfortable
with selling at the right price (he himself apparently had
his early success selling the company with "the world's
first end-user client/server database for Windows"
to Lotus). But no doubt Benchmark would like to see
an IPO too (which probably helps their marketing more
than selling if the cash/share ends up about the same).