Re: postgres-two different version

From: Naomi Walker <nwalke(at)eldocomp(dot)com>
To: codeWarrior <gpatnude(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgres-two different version
Date: 2007-01-30 19:52:18
Lists: pgsql-admin
We run two servers when we are trying out new versions (development, qa,
and production).  And,
its a failsafe for upgrades.  Since you need to unload for major
upgrades anyway, it is completely
reasonable.

Naomi

codeWarrior wrote:
> Why would you want two servers on the same box ??? There's this thing called
> "schemas" within one database... and postgreSQL is very capable of managing
> multiple databases from the same server....
>
> If you insist on trying to run two postgreSQL server on teh same box -- You
> also need to make sure that your two different versions dopnt share TCP/IP
> ports -- they cannot both listen on the same IP:PORT address -- so you will
> need to manage your postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf files separately -- one
> for each postgresql server... ditto for your startup scripts.
>
> You will probably also have some issues when using pgsql at the command line
> [localhost].
>
> Why not just upgrade your 8.1.3 installation to 8.2 ?
>

> "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote in message
>
>> "Bottini" <g(dot)bottini(at)arpa(dot)vda(dot)it> writes:
>>
>>> Is possible  to install two different version of postgresql on the same
>>> Linux server? I want to install  the 8.2 version in a server where is
>>> installed 8.1.3 version
>>>
>> You can, but not when installing from RPM: the RPMs have a fixed idea of
>> where to put the software, and I don't think it's feasible to change.
>> You'd need to build from source and use the --prefix configure option
>> to put the two sets of code in different places.
>>
>> regards, tom lane

Naomi Walker                          Chief Information Officer
Mphasis Healthcare Solutions          nwalker(at)mhs(dot)mphasis(dot)com
  ---An EDS Company                   602-604-3100
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort. --Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

-- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE --

Information transmitted by this e-mail is proprietary to MphasiS and/or its Customers and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this e-mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please notify us immediately at mailmaster(at)mphasis(dot)com and delete this mail from your records.