Re: [pgsql-patches] Autovacuum launcher patch

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-patches] Autovacuum launcher patch
Date: 2007-01-29 19:28:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I'd suggest sticking to something closer to the current two-phase design
>> where you make some preliminary decision which database to send a worker
>> to, and then the worker determines exactly what to do once it can look
>> around inside the DB. Possibly we need some back-signaling mechanism
>> whereby a worker can tell the launcher "hey boss, send help" if it sees
>> that there are enough tables that need work, but I'm unenthused about
>> having the launcher figure that out itself.
>
> Hmm, yeah, we'll probably need some communication channel eventually.

Maybe my IMessages code could be of use?

It's still awfully slow compared with UNIX pipes or even System V IPC
message queues, since it uses LWLocks for sending and retrieving
messages. That could certainly be optimized, maybe even towards a
lock-free implementation, which could theoretically be as fast as System
V IPC messages. OTOH, such stuff is hard to get right.

Regards

Markus