Re: Updatable cursors - applications?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: Updatable cursors - applications?
Date: 2007-01-29 17:00:04
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> I don't believe any reasonable client code would have reason to use
>> CTIDs though, with the exception of something like the ODBC or JDBC
>> drivers.
>
> But that's exactly the use-case --- in fact, we've even got a fair
> amount of backend code to make "SELECT ... WHERE ctid = something" fast.
> We're not going to decide that that need not work anymore.

No-one's suggesting stopping them working, just a change of format - any
place within the backend that did that would naturally be updated as
part of the submitted patch.

What we're talking about is a system column that is unlikely to be used
in any client apps other than low level drivers. I don't see that that
is any different from the recent refactoring of the operator related
catalogs - apps that read them will need to be updated as well. The
purpose of this thread is simply to ascertain if anyone has any good
test cases for the only use of ctid's outside the backend that anyone
seems to be aware of.

Regards, Dave