Load balancing across disks

From: Paul Lambert <paul(dot)lambert(at)autoledgers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Load balancing across disks
Date: 2007-01-29 02:50:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Im in the process of finalising my conversion from M$ SQL server to
Postgres - all of which I'm very happy about so far.

The database I work with has 37 tables, 5 of which run into the order of
tens of millions of records and approximately another 10 can run into
millions depending on the size of the customers main system. The DB is
going to be expanded to have another 15 or so tables when I step up
replication from my primary OpenVMS based application, some of these
will also have extremely high usage - again depending on the size of the
customers main system.

In order to balance disk load and ensure faster data access, my current
SQL server setup has the data spread across 3 physical disk devices. One
question I would like to know which I can't find in the documentation
I've been reading is if Postgres has any similar data distribution
abilities.

I.e. can I create a data file on D drive which holds tables a, b and e,
and a data file on E drive which holds tables c, d and f.

If this is possible, could someone point me to some documentation so I
can experiment a little.

If not possible, I guess I'll have to upgrade to some faster hardware...
if they'll be willing to give me money for that ;)

BTW, I'm using 8.2 on M$ Weenblows (Yes I know weenblows sucks, but i
don't have sufficient unix/linux/other platform Postgres runs on
experience to run the db on another server.... I'll wait for someone to
port it to OpenVMS ;) and then use it on that (I know, I'm dreaming) -
OpenVMS makes unixish systems look like they have the reliability of
weenblows, I'll tell you that much :D)

Cheers.

--
Paul Lambert