Re: BUG #2931: Can't capture pg_dump Password prompt

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Schmidt <michaelmschmidt(at)msn(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2931: Can't capture pg_dump Password prompt
Date: 2007-01-27 17:44:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs
(please keep responses on the list)

Michael Schmidt wrote:
> Mr. Hagander,
> Thanks for taking the time to look at this.  Unfortunately, the 8.2
> documentation and information obtained from 'pg_dump --help' indicate
> PGPASSWORD is no longer available.  Using pgpass.conf creates
> cross-platform issues, as it is stored in different places on different
> systems.

It's definitly still available, see

It may not always be clear, but all the "libpq environment varilables"
apply to all the utilities that are based on libpq, which is pretty much
all of them.

I can see how using pgpass can be a cross platform problem. If you're
doing cross platform, you may have a security problem from PGPASSWORD
though - I don't know the detauls.

> While I understand that sending the Password: prompt to the console is a
> new "feature", the rationale in changing it from stderr is unclear.
> When it is on a *standard* stream it is - well - standard!  This good
> behavior is appreciated by at least one developer (me)!

It was changed to be consistent with Unix, IIRC.

> Given the issues with PGPASSWORD and password.conf, would you folks
> consider putting the Password: prompt back the way it was?

I doubt it. I don't hold a strong opinion myself, but I think it has
been proposed and rejected before.