Modifying and solidifying contrib

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Modifying and solidifying contrib
Date: 2007-01-27 16:59:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hello,

With all the recent discussion on contrib modules etc.. I would like to
offer the following suggestion. I am willing to do a good portion of the
work myself and I can get it done before feature freeze. I will need
help with the global make file stuff however so that is one dependency.

Add directory /modules
Modules are compiled and installed by default but not enabled.
Modules in 8.3 currently are:
   pgrowlocks
   pg_freespacemap (to be renameed pgfreespacemap to be consistent)
   pgstattuple
   pgcrypto
   xml2
   pgbuffercache
   initagg

Requirements for /modules
   Must go through normal vetting process on -hackers
   Must include patches to core documentation in Docbook
   Must include test cases? I don't recall if we have regress for all
   contrib stuff.

Keep directory contrib
Contrib is not compiled or installed by default
Contrib in 8.3 would be:
   start-scripts
   pgbench (which I think really should be a foundry project)
   vacuumlo (is this even required anymore?)
   adminpack
   btree_gist
      etc...
Requirements for /contrib
   Must go through normal vetting process on -hackers
   Must includes README
   Must include test cases? Same questions for modules

Thoughts, flames?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

             http://www.commandprompt.com/

Next:From: Tom DongDate: 2007-01-27 17:15:55