Re: Issues with roles

To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues with roles
Date: 2007-01-26 15:10:29
Lists: pgadmin-support
Dave Page wrote:
> Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
>>> A couple of niggly little issues with the roles in PgAdmin 1.6.2 on
>>> an 8.2.1 server.
>>>
>>> When you click Login/Group Roles in the object explorer, you cannot
>>> right-click and do "new role" like you can with Databases and
>>> Tablespaces.
>>> Also the "New object of this type" button is not enabled when you
>>> click New group/login role - you have to add a new role by
>>> right-clicking the server connection, New Object... New Group/Login
>>> Role.
>>>
>>> Any chance of having this sorted for the next release?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>

>> You also cannot drop a role from PgAdmin as all the Edit menu items
>> are greyed out, except Properties.
>
> All works for me. Are you sure the user you are logging in as has
> CREATEROLE privileges?

OK just discovered something weird... you're right in saying the user
doesn't have 'create role' privelege, however, if I right-click the
server connection, new object, new role, it works - and the role gets
created within the server because I can use psql on the server to
connect with the new role - only snag is once you've added the role in
PgAdmin, you have to Refresh the login role list manually (right-click
Refresh.)

Perhaps it's because I have super-user ticked for this user?  If so,
does that override the CREATE ROLE privelege?

I can send some screenshots showing the  process if needed.

Andy.