Re: BUG #2929: Error opening 5432 port

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: James Becerra <jbecerra(at)cideim(dot)org(dot)co>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #2929: Error opening 5432 port
Date: 2007-01-24 20:59:02
Lists: pgsql-bugs
James Becerra wrote:

> Bug reference:      2929
> Logged by:          James Becerra
> Email address:      jbecerra(at)cideim(dot)org(dot)co
> PostgreSQL version: 8.1
> Operating system:   Windows 2003 Server
> Details:
>
> Hi,
>
> Let me explaint my problem.
>
> I usually work with postgres, but i dont know how it happend, this error
> doesnt permit to run my php aplications.
>
> could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the
> server running on host "127.0.0.1" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port
> 5432?

well this simple means that you are trying to connect to localhost on
port 5432 and there is either nothing listening there or you have a
firewall blocking the request.
Have you checked that the postgresql service(from that error message I
assume you are running windows) is actually running and configured to
listen on that interface (it should be by default but somebody might
have changed that.
Another possibility would be some kind of firewall that is blocking the
request - if you have something like that you could try to disable it
temporary.

Stefan