Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?

From: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?
Date: 2007-01-20 11:08:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Ken Johanson wrote:
> Michael Paesold wrote:
>> Ken Johanson wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've just come to realize that Statement.getGeneratedKeys() is not
>>> supported in the current PG and/or JDBC driver. Does someone know if
>>> this is a limitation of PG, or its protocol, or just not yet
>>> implemented in the JDBC driver? I'm just wondering where, if at all
>>> (if I have enough brain cells that is :), I could try to offer a
>>> patch or ideas..
>>
>> It would be possible to implement that using the RETURNING clause
>> supported in recent versions of the server.
>>
>> See here:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-10/msg00035.php
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-10/msg00037.php
>>
>> Unfortunately, all my available spare time went into implementing
>> support for standards_conforming_strings in the 8.2 release cycle.
>>

> Michael, does it look like you might have the time for this in the next
> couple months? If not and no one else more familar/rofiecient with the
> private API will have time, then I giuess I should dig in and try...
> even if I need to ramp up to the server protocol to do it.

Unfortunately I did not find time to work on this over Christmas
holidays and I will be quite busy at work for the next two or three
months or so. Thus, if you have time to work on this yourself, please go
ahead!

> If someone has pointers to where the augmentaion code should be placed
> (org.tgresql.jdbc3.Jdbc3ResultSetMetadata I presume), and also the
> protocol (separate query to the server?, or append RETURNING clause to
> the DML?).

Right now, the server protocol does not have a separate facility for the
RETURNING functionality. Therefore you have to append a RETURNING clause
   to the query string.

> Also I cant remember - is it true that when inserting multuple VALUES,
> that only the first (or last) SEQUENCE can be retrived, or can I
> populate a resultset using the RETURNING data from by the server?

I suppose it should work with multiple VALUES, but you can simple try. ;-)

Best Regards
Michael Paesold