Re: guid/uuid datatype

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Gevik Babakhani <pgdev(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Subject: Re: guid/uuid datatype
Date: 2007-01-20 04:21:11
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Per previous discussion, the main problem with a uuid type is the
> new-uuid generator function, which tends to involve a bunch of
> not-so-portable assumptions and code. If we accept a uuid type in
> either core or contrib, all of a sudden those portability issues are
> our problem. I'd rather not deal with that.
>
> I'd be willing to accept a core uuid type sans generator function,
> but is that really all that useful?

I think it would. There are plenty of client side libraries that
generate uuid, at least we could provide a native type for them to use.
A generator would be great too of course, but if they really need one
they could use one of the pl languages for it.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/