Re: Autoanalyze settings with zero scale factor

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Jeremy Haile <jhaile(at)fastmail(dot)fm>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autoanalyze settings with zero scale factor
Date: 2007-01-18 20:40:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
Jeremy Haile wrote:
>> Also, are other auto-vacuums and auto-analyzes showing up in the
>> pg_stats table?  Maybe it's a stats system issue.
>>

> No tables have been vacuumed or analyzed today.  I had thought that this
> problem was due to my pg_autovacuum changes, but perhaps not.  I
> restarted PostgreSQL (in production - yikes)  About a minute after being
> restarted, the autovac process fired up.
>
> What could get PG in a state where autovac isn't running?  Is there
> anything I should watch to debug or monitor for this problem in the
> future?  I wish I'd noticed whether or not the stats collector process
> was running before I restarted.

First off you shouldn't need to restart PG.  When it wasn't working did
you ever check the autovacuum_enabled setting? For example within psql:
"show autovacuum;".

I would venture to guess that autovacuum was disabled for some reason.
Perhaps last time you started the server the stats settings weren't enabled?