Re: I'm very confused.

From: Brant Fitzsimmons <brant(at)bfcomputerconsulting(dot)com>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jasbinder Singh Bali <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: I'm very confused.
Date: 2007-01-17 15:10:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Sean Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 January 2007 09:54, Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:
>> Sean Davis wrote:

>>> Put in a db.commit() statement here. Does that fix your
>>> problem?
>> It sure does. Any idea why it would drive up the serial column
>> even though nothing was committed?
>
> Great to hear....
>
> A serial column is a macro to make a sequence and then to fill the
> column with the default "next_val" from the sequence. The mere
> selection of next_val increases the sequence, which is necessary to
> ensure that all connections get a unique value when selecting from
> the same sequence.
>
> Sean

I see.

Thanks for your help and thanks to everyone who contributed ideas.
The quick response was unexpected and very encouraging.

- --
Brant Fitzsimmons
brant(at)bfcomputerconsulting(dot)com
"Strange times are these in which we live when the old and the
young are taught falsehoods in the schools of learning. And the one
man that dares to tell the truth is called at once a lunatic and
a fool."
-Plato