Re: InitPostgres and flatfiles question

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: InitPostgres and flatfiles question
Date: 2007-01-04 09:00:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Tom Lane wrote:
> It should happen automatically at commit of the CREATE DATABASE ... and
> you'd not be able to see the pg_database row before that anyway.  So I'm
> not clear on what you're worried about.

I've just found the stumbling block: the -c option of psql wraps all in
a transaction, as man psql says:

     If the command string contains multiple SQL commands,  they  are
     processed  in  a  single  transaction, unless there are explicit
     BEGIN/COMMIT commands included in the string to divide  it  into
     multiple  transactions. This is different from the behavior when
     the same string is fed to psql’s standard input.

Thank you for clarification, I wouldn't have expected that (especially
because CREATE DATABASE itself says, it cannot be run inside a
transaction block... A transaction block (with BEGIN and COMMIT) seems
to be more than just a transaction, right?)

Regards

Markus