Re: MySQL Enterprise - Community split

From: "news(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <smith(at)pooteeweet(dot)org>
To: Kaare Rasmussen <kaare(at)jasonic(dot)dk>
Subject: Re: MySQL Enterprise - Community split
Date: 2007-01-02 09:03:36
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Kaare Rasmussen wrote:
> I hope that this list is OK for rumors/information about competitor moves.
>
> http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2006/12/29/where-to-get-recent-mysql-version/
>
> It may be old news for others, but at least I didn't know about the "Recent
> Policies" at MySQL.

I am in contact with mysql ab community department to get some
clarifications. If you look at the initial announcement from Kaj, it
never discusses anything in the direction of not providing binaries
anymore. In the past MySQL AB was always very keen to get OSS users to
use their binaries to make bug handling easier. Also Windows users (the
bulk of LAMP development is done on WAMP) obviously need those binaries.
So this is a big issue indeed.

regards,
Lukas