Re: Backup/Restore too slow

From: Russell Smith <mr-russ(at)pws(dot)com(dot)au>
To: sebaioni-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)ar
Cc: Performance PostgreSQL <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup/Restore too slow
Date: 2006-12-29 21:25:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

Sebastián Baioni wrote:
> Thanks for answering.
> This is my configuration:
> # - Memory -
>
> shared_buffers = 1000 # min 16, at least max_connections*2, 8KB
> each
> #work_mem = 1024 # min 64, size in KB
> #maintenance_work_mem = 16384 # min 1024, size in KB
> #max_stack_depth = 2048 # min 100, size in KB
>
> The PC where we are runing PostgreSQL server is:
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
> 3000+
> 1.79 GHz, 1.93 GB RAM
> with WindowsXP Proffesional, Version 2002 Service Pack 2.
>
> How should we set it?
Shared buffers even on a workstation should be higher than 1000 if you
want some performance. It depends how much memory you have spare to use
for PostgreSQL. But something like
shared_buffers = 20000
maintenance_work_mem = 256000

Will certainly give you a performance boost. You will have to adjust
those figures based on whatever else you are doing on the machine.

Russell Smith.